I am cooking up a storm lately 🙂 Hubby and I had a lot of good quality beef, left over chunk from our party 🙂
So I decided to make one of our favorites : the Malaysian Beef and Potato Curry. I cooked it a couple of times, but I was so busy to blog it. This recipe is again, from Hamlyn’s Complete Cook.Let’s start!
- 2 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 1 medium-sized onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5cm/2inch piece of fresh root ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons hot curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- curry leaves
- star anise
- 375 g/12 oz sirloin steak, cut into 1 cm / 1/2 inch strips
- 300g /10 oz potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 2 large red chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 300ml/ 1/2 pint coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soft brown sugar
- sliced red chilies , to garnish
THE PROCESS :
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onions, garlic and ginger, and fry over a low heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the curry powder, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, cardamom, curry leaves, star anise and cloves and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes chilies, salt and coconut milk.
- Stir to combine, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until the beef is tender and the potatoes are cooked.
- Stir in the lime juice and brown sugar and cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. Serve hot garnished with sliced red chilies.
- Peposo (Peppery Tuscan Beef Stew) (memoriediangelina.com)
- Green Curry with Chicken (atomickaleidoscope.wordpress.com)